Wednesday, October 28, 2015

10/40 Window Study for Younger Children

My older kids are doing Sonlight's Core F this year and I wanted something for Sunshine, who is in 4th grade this year.  With his auditory processing issues, he's just not able to handle longer chapter books yet, and he's definitely not ready for Core F.

I've looked and looked for a resource to use for youngers each time I've done Core F. This is my second full time through it and I planned to do it once with these kids several years ago but changed my mind at the last minute and did something else.  I've attempted to plan out fun hands-on activities for youngers before and it always ended up being too much.

This time around I found Expedition Earth from confessionsofahomeschooler.com.  It's not perfect, but it's the closest to what I've been looking for.  There are a lot of elements I've pulled into my plan and I think what it really gave me was permission to do "less is more."  Even after putting together my full plan for each week, once we actually began doing it, I cut some things out.  For instance, it's just not necessary for Sunshine to know the population or land area of each country.  Those super large numbers aren't that meaningful to him yet and there are other things about each country or culture I'd like to stick with him (like WHERE the country is).

I've also made his schedule to only loosely coordinate with Core F with each country he studies taking only two weeks.  Here is the schedule:


No comments: