Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

I just love love love this book!  I loved it as a kid and as I am reading it to Pepper and Daisy now I am enjoying it just as much as ever, and so are they!  At the end of every chapter they are begging for more.  Pepper said today, "Can't you read more?  It is SO exciting!"


 


I remember loving the magical world of the rats, knowing it was completely imaginary but believing it was entirely possible!  I applauded the courage of Mrs. Frisby and mourned the loss (or was it??) of Justin.  I disliked the shrew for her shrewiness and laughed at Jeremy for his inability to pass up anything shiny just because it was...shiny.  I marveled at the wonder that was the story of the mice and the rats.  And I smiled at how the legacy of NIMH lived on in the children of the original captives.


 


If you have never read this book before, I urge you to explore it with your children.  Pepper is going on 8 ("In 8 days, Mom, it will be only 3 months until my birthday") and Daisy is nearly 10.


 


Or if you love a great can't-put-it-down story as much as I do, just curl up in your favorite chair tonight after the kids are in bed and read it straight through.


 


You won't be sorry!


 


Here are some online links I have found for this story (but not used):


BookPunch free lesson plan (writing activities for grades 3-9)


Literature Unit made by 4th & 5th graders (typical schooly type stuff with some word searches)


Quizzes, Games and Comprehension


This blog has some interesting ideas for extensions, including using Google Earth to "experience" Mrs. Frisby's flight with Jeremy


And a nice review of Robert C. O'Brien's works


 


 

No comments: