Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Title is "The Monsters"

One of the things they do better in public school than I do is teach the literary elements. Banana Boy can read the words "Illustrated By" and knows what they mean. Before he reads a book, he reads the title on the cover, the title on the title page and the names of the author and illustrator. He's very serious about all this.

He spent 45 minutes yesterday with one of his little notebooks. An idea had popped into his head and he was all inspired to write it down.

Listen to my story, Mom!

The Title is "The Monsters."

I was walking and suddenly I saw monsters. I was scared. We thought of a plan. The plan was, we distract


(at this point he came and found me to ask "What is that word when you want someone to go away?"
I'm all like, "huh?"
"You know," he said, "I think it's 'extract.'"
I'm thinking to myself, extract. Extract. Go away. Huh? Finally it dawns on me that he wants DIStract. Aha.)
The plan was, we distract them.

He reads me the story out loud. Each time he reads it, he says, "The Title is 'The Monsters.'" It cracks me up every time.

I prompt him now. How are you going to distract them? He thinks a bit, then frantically scribbles.

He reads it out loud again.

The Title is "The Monsters"
I was walking and suddenly I saw monsters. I was scared. We thought of a plan. The plan was, we distract them. We are going to do a play.


At this point, I'm just beaming! What a clever boy! I think it's a riot that they will distract the monsters with a play.

I had to go to work then, but when I got up this morning, I tracked down his notebook to see the end.

The Title is "The Monsters"
I was walking and suddenly I saw monsters. I was scared. We thought of a plan. The plan was, we distract them. We are going to do a play. I think they will like it if we do The Three Little Pigs! Yes! Yes! Let's do it! They did the play. The monsters like it. But how do we escape? Oh, quick, make a plan. Plan 2. what plan can we make? I know. Let's make them asleep. Good idea, but how will we do that? I know, let's do a song.


Apparently it's "To be continued....."

No comments: