Friday, March 6, 2009

It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's a Foodie Blog!

Because I don't have enough to do, here's a recipe (or two) I want to share with you.

Unstuffed Pepper Soup (adapted from Taste of Home's recipe by the same name)

2 lbs ground beef
4 peppers of various colors (I used 2 green, 1 red a yellow and an orange, and yes, that equals 5)
1 large onion
4 large cloves garlic, minced


Brown together in a dutch oven.

Meanwhile, cook according to package directions (but without the meat)
1 package Zatarain's Dirty Rice

When meat is brown and vegetables are nearly tender, add

1 quart jar homemade tomato soup or 2 cans condensed tomato soup

2 cans diced tomatoes
(I used tomatoes with garlic and onion)

1 or two beef boullion cubes

Water
to the consistency you like

Yes, I skipped the mushrooms. I love mushrooms, but they just seemed weird in this recipe. Plus, only dh and I eat this (not one kid will eat peppers) and if I put mushrooms in, then it would just be ME eating this huge vat of soup.

Add the rice to the soup. Yum!

Oh, and as promised, here is the second recipe. Run, don't walk to your stove and make this. Mmm, mmm, mmm! And, because I can't leave well enough alone, I made this with chicken and added a few diced sun-dried tomatoes.

No comments: